Crisp and colorful, this intensely flavored slaw is infused with warm North African spices such as cinnamon, cumin, coriander and smoked paprika. Dates add a touch of sweetness and toasted almonds add crunch. From The Whole 30 Cookbook.
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups coarsely shredded carrots
- 1 cup coarsely shredded parsnips
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted unsweetened dates
In a small skillet, toast the almonds over medium-low heat, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Place in a large bowl. In the same skillet, toast the cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and paprika until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Place the spices in the bowl with the almonds.
Stir in the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and red pepper flakes. Add the carrots and parsnips and stir to coat. Add the cilantro and dates and toss to combine.