Creamy, dairy-free and tasty. Roasting the cauliflower and brussel sprouts adds flavor, and be sure to save a few of the roasted veggies to top it off for even more flavor and texture.
- med size cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss the cauliflower and the brussels with oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast on the bottom third of the oven until slightly brown (approximately 25 minutes), tossing half way.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large sauce pan over low heat and add shallots. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the salt and broth and simmer 5 minutes.
- Reserve about 1 generous cup of the roasted vegetables and keep warm on the baking sheet.
- Transfer the rest to the pot with vegetable broth and simmer 2 minutes.
- Transfer in two batches to a blender and blend until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender directly in the pot.
- Mix in curry powder, turmeric or other favorite spices for added flavor.
- Serve in 4 bowls topped with the roasted vegetables and fresh black pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.