Roasted Beet Salad with Hazelnuts, Thyme, and Balsamic Reduction
5-6 Medium Beets, Trimmed
1/2 Cup Hazelnuts, Toasted
4 Tablespoons Balsamic Reduction
1 Tablespoon Roasted Hazelnut Oil
6 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 400.
2. Wrap each beet individually in a piece of foil and place them on a baking sheet. Roast the beets for 45-90 minutes, depending on the size of the beets, until a fork easily slides into the largest beet. Let cool for about 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 300. Toss the hazelnuts in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the skins have darkened and are amost falling off. Place them on a damp dish towel and rub vigorously until most of the skins fall off. Discard the skins and roughly chop the hazelnuts. Set aside.
4. Carefully unwrap the beets and trinm the ends. Under colod running water, push the beet skins off with your fingers. Discard the skins.
5. Thinly slice the beets into 1/4″ rounds and arrange 7-12 beet slices on each of 3 plates.
6. Sprinkle a handful of toasted hazelnuts on top of each plate of beets. Add a drizzle of balsamic reduction and a drizzle of oil. Scatter the leaves from 1-2 sprigs thyme all over the beets on each plate and serve.
*Adapted from Oh How She Glows Cookbook