PREP TIME: 5 to 10 minutes COOK TIME: 8 to 10 minutes
Gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free, grain-free options available
Praised for how easy it is to prepare and for its dairy-free avocado cream sauce, this recipe is a favorite. Heart-healthy avocados are processed with garlic, a touch of olive oil, fresh basil, lemon juice, and sea salt to create one amazing creamy pasta sauce you won’t soon forget.
|9 oz||uncooked pasta (use gluten-free, if desired)|
|1 to 2||cloves garlic, to taste|
|1/4 cup||fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving|
|4 to 6 tsp||fresh lemon juice, to taste|
|1 tbsp||extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 or 2||ripe medium avocado, pitted|
|1/4 to 1/2 tsp||fine-grain sea salt|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|Lemon zest, for serving|
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
2. While the pasta cooks, make the sauce: In a food processor, combine the garlic and basil and pulse to mince.
3. Add the lemon juice, oil, avocado flesh, and 1 tbsp water and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add another 1 tsp water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot. Add the avocado sauce and stir until combined. You can gently rewarm the pasta if it has cooled slightly, or simply serve it at room temperature.
5. Top with lemon zest, pepper, and fresh basil leaves, if desired.
This sauce is best served immediately. If you do have leftover sauce, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
For a grain-free version, serve this avocado sauce with spiralized squash or zucchini. For a bit of added protein top with grilled shrimp, chicken or tofu.
*Adapted from The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon