For the Kale and Sausages:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
- 4 vegan sausages, if you are not vegan and want to use real italian sausage….go for it.
- 1 bunch kale, about 8 ounces, tough stems removed and torn into large pieces (I’ve also made this recipe with spinach, and it is just as tasty.)
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water for least 2 hours (or, if you forget, boil them for 15 minutes, and let them sit in the water while you prepare everything else)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 roasted red pepper (homemade, or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or dried)
- Crushed red pepper flakes
Prepare the Sauce First:
Add all of the sauce ingredients to a blender and puree until completely smooth. Depending on your blender, this can take anywhere from 1 to minutes. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula to make sure you get everything.
Now Prepare Sausages and Kale:
Preheat a large skillet over low heat and add 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Sautee the sliced garlic cloves until just lightly browned, which should take about a minute. Transfer garlic to a plate.
Turn up the heat to medium. Add 2 more teaspoons of olive oil. Sautee the red onion along with a pinch of salt. When the onion is translucent, add the sausages and 2 more teaspoons of olive oil. Lightly brown the sausages.
Now add the kale and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. You’ll need to add the kale in batches most likely, so toss it in by the handful, letting it cook down for 2 minutes or so before adding the next handful. (Add a splash of water to the pan if anything starts to stick.) Once all the kale has been added and cooked down, add the garlic back in.
Scoop rice into bowls. Top with kale and sausages. Drizzle with a generous amount of sauce. Top with olives and red pepper flakes. Enj